Hurricanes Practice Groups

The Hurricanes Swim Team offers a competitive swim program to mountain area youth of all abilities and potential.  The coaches strive to develop the maximum potential of our athletes with a program that emphasizes discipline, personal growth, and excellence in technique.  Our coaching staff encourages our swimmers to achieve their best performance through personal dedication, hard work, and commitment to their teammates.   Through their experience with the Evergreen Swim Team, we envision that swimmers will become strong athletes while developing valuable life skills such as integrity, mental toughness, time management, a strong work ethic, and self confidence. 

At every level, swimmers are encouraged to attend as many practices as possible within their scheduled practice time, and to participate in swim meets whenever possible. While participation in swim meets is strongly encouraged, it is not required. Swimmers may move to a higher practice group dependent on level of ability and commitment, at the discretion of the coaching staff and in consultation with the swimmer and his/her family.

HURRICANE ALERT!!

There is intense HURRICANE activity in Evergreen, Colorado, with 102 swimmers currently on the team roster. 
The team is divided into five practice groups based on age and ability.  The Categories are:

Summer Practice Schedule
Tuesday May ?? - Thursday July ??, 2018
Category 1   Mon - Fri: 4:00 - 4:45pm
Category 2   Mon - Fri:  4:00 - 5:30pm, Sat 8:00-9:30am
Category 3   Mon, Wed, Fri: 4:00 - 5:30pm; Tue & Thu: 4:00 - 5:45pm, Sat 8:00 - 9:30am
Category 4 & 5   Mon, Wed, Fri: 5:30 - 7:30pm, Tue & Thu: 5:45 - 8:00pm, Sat 6:20 - 8:30am
Dryland Category 4 & 5 - Mon, Wed, & Fri 4:35-5:20pm




CATEGORY 1     - Lead Coach Jeff C.,  Asst Damon     
Ages: 5 - 12
Practice Times:    Monday through Friday, 4:00-4:45p.m.

This group provides a solid foundation for entry-level swimmers, who are able to swim 25 yards of two of the four competitive strokes, and use free breathing to the side. The emphasis in all sessions is on stroke technique
and overall skill development of the four competitive strokes, along with starts, turns, and finishes. The flexible commitment and training routine allows for a swimmer's participation in other sports or activities.
The coach expects that swimmers attend 3 sessions per week.








CATEGORY 2
   - Lead Coach Damon, Asst. Jeff C.
Ages: 9 - 12
Practice Times:  Monday 4:00-5:30p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday, & Thursday 4:45-6:15p.m.,  Friday 4:00-5:30p.m., Saturday 8:00-9:30a.m.; Dryland: N/A
                      
This group is for swimmers who have good consistency in all four strokes and a desire to work to improve. At this level we will continue to emphasize the proper technique for all four strokes as well as putting together a training program meant to assist swimmers in obtaining their goals.  They devote 50% of their training sessions to conditioning and the remaining practice time toward maintenance of stroke techniques and turns. This practice group could have up to three training levels that can expect to swim 3,000 to 5,000 yards per day. To gain the maximum benefit from the program, the coach expects that swimmers attend 4 sessions per week.









CATEGORY 3
  - Lead Coach Damon, Asst. Jeff C. 
Ages: 10 - 14
Practice Times:     Monday 4:00-5:30p.m., Wednesday 4:45-6:15p.m.,  Tuesday & Thursday 4:45-6:30p.m.,   Friday 4:00-5:30p.m., Saturday 8:00-9:30a.m.;  Dryland: N/A
                      
This group is for swimmers who have good consistency in all four strokes and a desire to work to improve. At this level we will continue to emphasize the proper technique for all four strokes as well as putting together a training program meant to assist swimmers in obtaining their goals.  They devote 60% of their training sessions to conditioning and the remaining practice time toward maintenance of stroke techniques and turns. This practice group could have up to two training levels that can expect to swim 3,500 to 5,500 yards per day. To gain the maximum benefit from the program, the coach expects that swimmers attend 5 sessions per week.








CATEGORY  4 
    - Lead Coach Jeff A., Asst. Jeff C.
Ages: 13 - 18
Practice Times:    Monday  5:30-7:30p.m.:  Tuesday: 6:15-8:15p.m.:   Wednesday  5:45-7:30p.m.; Thursday  6:15-8:15p.m.;  Friday  5:30-7:30p.m.; Saturday  6:20-8:30a.m.;  Dryland:  Monday 4:35-5:20p.m., Wednesday 4:45-5:30p.m., Friday 4:35-5:20p.m.

This group is designed for those swimmers making the transition from age group to senior level swimming. These swimmers have shown the ability to perform consistently within practices, possess a positive attitude, and have adapted their strokes to a more efficient level. They devote 80% of their training sessions to conditioning and the remaining 20% of their practice time toward maintenance of stroke techniques and turns. This practice group could have up to three training levels that can expect to swim 5,000 to 8,000 yards per day. To reach their maximum potential, the coach expects that swimmers attend 5 sessions per week. Additional sessions may be offered during holiday breaks and training camps.






CATEGORY  5     - Lead Coach Jeff A., Asst. Jeff C.
Ages 14 - 18
Practice Times: Monday 5:30-7:30p.m.; Tuesday 5:30-6:50a.m. and 6:15-8:15p.m.; Wednesday 5:45-7:30p.m.; Thursday 5:50-6:50a.m. and 6:15-8:15p.m.; Friday 5:30-7:30p.m.; Saturdays 6:20-8:30a.m.;  Dryland:  Monday 4:35 - 5:20.p.m, Wednesday 4:45 - 5:30p.m., Friday 4:35 - 5:20p.m.

Participation in this group is by invitation of the Head Coach; each swimmer must have met certain criteria.  These swimmers have shown the ability to perform consistently within practices, possess a positive attitude, and have adapted their strokes to a more efficient level.  They will devote 85% of their training sessions to conditioning and the remaining 15% of their practice time toward maintenance of stroke techniques and turns.  These swimmers will be required to show their commitment to their training all year round by maintaining at least an 85% attendance record, attend at least 1 morning workout per week, participating in mandatory dry land, and attending all meets designated by the Head Coach. This practice group could have up to two training levels that can expect to swim 5,500 to 8,000 yards per day.  Additional sessions may be required during holiday breaks and training camps. Typically 6 to 8 practices offered weekly; Category 5 swimmers will be required to attend 6 to 7 practices per week.