New Season off to a Great Start!
We have started the 2011-12 season with 86 swimmers on the roster! We kicked off the season with a team barbecue, which was terrific - let's make this an annual event! Thanks to the men behind the grill - Bill Coughlin, Terrye Easton, and Bob Vincent - for making sure everyone was well-fed. Our first home meet was also successful, and we even finished ahead of the timeline. It takes tremendous effort to pull this together so early in the season, and we appreciate the hard work everyone put into it.
We Need Officials!
Please consider becoming an official - we need you to help support our swimmers in this vital role. There is a training session this weekend at the Swimposium in Denver. The officials clinic is on Saturday, Oct 1, from 8:30am - 12 noon at Adams City High School in Commerce City. Please contact Kathy Lahr, our head official, at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Mark Your Calendars:
October 12: entry deadline for TOPS Relay Meet
October 17: Board of Directors Meeting, 5-6:30pm
October 23: TOPS Relay Meet
October 25: entry deadline for Sopris Meet
Thanks to our Retiring Board Members
Many thanks to Kurt Kenchel, Bill Coughlin, and Lisa O'Hearn for their two years of service on the Board of Directors. The team appreciates your hard work!
Hurricane Swimmers a Force at Zones
Congratulations to all our swimmers who competed in the Western Zones in Fresno, California.
- Jenn Belz: 3rd in the 400 Free
- Jordyn Butler: 6th in the 200IM
- Holly Fortik: 3rd in the 1500Free
- Ben Holland: 6th in the 400IM
- Kamryn Holland: 6th in the 200IM
- Mitch Kilgore: 5th in the 50 Free
- Anna McDonald: 16th in the 200 Back
- Kate McDonald: 17th in the 200 Breast
- Lindsay Morrow: 1st in 200IM, 100 & 200 Back
- Josie Pearson: 8th in 200IM
Highlights of 2011 Long Course
The team had a blazing hot summer with our swimmers achieving many milestones. Some highlights:
- The Hurricanes placed 10th in the Long Course State Meet, out of 57 teams that scored points.
- Lindsay Morrow placed first in the 200IM, 100 Back, and 200 Back at Zones; broke two meet records; and got a summer Junior Nationals and a winter Nationals cut. Way to go, Lindsay!
- Lexie Malazdrewicz swam at Junior and Senior Nationals, taking 16th place in the 200 Back at Juniors.
- Mitch Kilgore got his first Sectionals cut.
Welcome to All New Families!
Please be sure to take advantage of all the avenues of team communication. These newsletters are emailed out monthly, and we send Team Updates on an as-needed basis. Most importantly, you should check the Coaches' Blog daily, and sign up for rainedout.com to receive last-minute bulletins (see the Blog for details on how to sign up for Rainedout.com). We also have a facebook page, where Coach Jeff posts videos from swim meets.
Dryland Schedule Coming Soon
We are hoping to start dryland training for Categories 2,3,4, and 5 in the first week of October. Watch the Blog for schedule information. The dryland training is intended to introduce exercises for strengthening and injury prevention, and is optional but strongly encouraged.